If you’re one of those people who thinks malware and viruses are the same thing, then you’re wrong. So let’s find out the difference between Virus and Malware in detail.
Have you ever tried to understand the difference between a virus and malware? Even if they are meant to damage devices, steal data and spy on victims, why are they given different names?
What is Malware?
Malware is an abbreviation for Malicious and Software. Malware is software specially designed to operate undercover in order to damage devices, steal data, and wreak havoc. Malware is usually created by a group of hackers who want to make money by spreading it or selling victim data to buyers at the highest price. However, malware is often created to test the security of a system.
What are Viruses?
Virus is a type of malware that attaches to files and infects other files. They can spread uncontrollably, destroy basic system functions, and then delete or at least corrupt files so that you can’t open or use them again. Viruses are usually in file format (.exe). W32.Sfc! Mod, ABAP.Rivpas.A, Accept.3773 are some examples of antivirus programs.
Read also: 15 most dangerous computer viruses in the world
The difference between virus and malware
Viruses are a type of malware. While Malware is a general term for malicious software designed to damage computers, such as viruses, trojans, ransomware, bots, spyware, and so on. So basically, terms like virus or Trojan are a type of malware.
Why do people create malware?
After reading all this, you may be wondering why people create malware. Here are some reasons that might force programmers to write malware:
- Controlling someone’s computer for personal or group reasons.
- For financial gain. This includes hackers who collect money for a purpose. You may have heard of cases of ransomware attacks in which hackers collect money to feed people. But that doesn’t mean they’re right.
- To steal confidential data.
- To prove his point. For example, by breaking a security breach on a vulnerable system.
- To register individual computers or entire networks.
The impact of malware on computers
Many people have fallen victim to malware. Hackers use it to steal passwords, delete files and make computers inoperable. Malware infection can cause many problems that affect day-to-day operations and long-term security. Reported from Console TechThe impact of malware on computers includes:
- interferes with operation.
- Steal sensitive information.
- Allows unauthorized (illegal) access to system resources.
- Slow down your computer speed.
- Creates network connection problems.
- It often leads to frost or collapse.
How to prevent malware?
You may have heard that it is better to prevent than to cure. So, before you learn how to remove malware, you should first know the things that may be malware entry on your device. Here are some actions that can minimize malware entry.
- Keep the system up to date.
- Use genuine or non-pirated software.
- Install an antivirus or anti-malware application and update it regularly.
- Use a unique password.
- Check the software you want to download.
- Never open unknown emails that are generally in the Spam folder.
- Never open unknown links or sites, use an online site security checker if you’re not sure if you’re opening the site.
Read also: 3 things to check after removing malware from your computer
By following these simple steps, you can keep your device safe from malware and other potential threats.
So this is the difference between Virus and Malware. In essence, the virus is a type of malware and a threat to any device connected to the Internet. Because hackers are now more creative in developing ways to infect a device’s system.
Being aware of your online activity and knowing the signs of a malware attack is the best way to protect your device from malware attacks. Therefore, make sure that the device is securely protected.
So many articles What is the difference between a virus and a malware?. Looking forward to more interesting articles and don’t forget to share this article with your friends. Thanks…
Hi, I am Azara! At Azara Tech we are passionate about tech and love sharing our knowledge and research with you.
At Azara Tech, we strive to be the ultimate resource for learning everything about technology!