A game engine, also known as an architecture or game framework, is a software development environment used by game developers to create interactive video games. Any common game engine allows developers to add common features such as physics, input, rendering, scripting, AI collision detection, and more without the need for coding.
Although there are several game engines, this time we will discuss the two huge game engines, namely Unity vs Unreal Engine.
Read also: Differences between first-person and third-person games
What is Unity?
Announced and released in 2005 by WDC Apple Inc. Unit is a multiplatform game engine developed by Unity Technologies. This game engine supports over 25 platforms, including Windows, macOS, as well as console and virtual reality platforms such as PlayStation VR Xbox One, Oculus Rift, Daydream and more. The Unity game engine is adopted by many users because it gives users the ability to create games in 2D, 3D, and virtual reality experiences. In addition to the gaming industry, other industries such as film, automotive, architecture, engineering and construction are also used.
The history of the unit
- Originally released in 2005 for Mac OS X.
- In 2001, Unity 2.0 was released with 50 new features.
- In 2008, Unity added support for the iPhone with the launch of the Apple Store.
- In 2010, Unity 3.0 was released in September.
- Unity 3 offers Android support and integration tools.
- In 2012, Unity was declared the best game engine in a survey conducted by the magazine for game developers.
- In 2012, Unity introduced Unity 4.0.
- Since 2013, integration with Facebook SDK.
- In 2015, the fifth generation of the Unity engine. Unity 5.0 has been released.
- In 2017, Unity 5.6 was released.
- Unity 2018 includes ML features.
- In 2019, a new link to the tungsten language has been added.
- Creating and destroying game objects
- Access components
- It has special tools for making 2D and 3D games.
- Creations of quality games such as AAA, HD images
- Provides reusable assets that are already available in the asset repository, reducing development time.
- Physics-oriented events.
- Deployment on all platforms with a single click.
What is Unreal Engine?
The Seveneny team, the founders of Epic Games, developed the first generation of Unreal engine and was first introduced in the 1998 Unreal first-person shooter game. The Unreal game engine has a high degree of portability, supporting multiple platforms. This game engine has proven to be an excellent base for creating state-of-the-art physics and graphics and has won many industry standard awards from various gaming publications.
- Tim Seveneny began writing in 1995.
- It debuted by launching its first game in 1998.
- The engine integrated a level editor, Unreal Ed in 1996.
- In 1999, there were 16 external projects using this technology.
- The second version of unreal debuted in 2002 with the America Army multiplayer shooting game.
- In late 2002, Epic released Unreal Championship on Xbox.
- Unreal Tournament 2003 provides support for vehicle physics.
- Unreal Tournament 2004 has successfully implemented a vehicle-based tournament.
- Screenshot of Unreal Engine 3 released in 2004
- Unreal Engine 3 is designed to take full advantage of programmable hardware shaders.
- Lighting and shading calculations have changed from top to bottom.
- The first games to use Unreal Engine 3 were Gear of War for Xbox 360 and Robobiltz for Windows.
- In 2011, it announced support for Adobe Flash Player.
- In 2013, Epic teamed up with Mozilla to bring Unreal Engine 3 to the web.
- Engine development began in 2003.
- In 2012, Unreal Engine 4 was released to the public.
- On March 19, 2004, Epic Games released Unreal Engine 4 through a new GDC licensing model.
- On May 13, 2020, Unreal Engine 5 was released.
- Support for Playstation 5 and Xbox X series consoles.
- Pipe integration
- The World Building
- Playback, lighting and material
- Simulation and effects
- Create play and interactivity
- Integrated media support
- Platform support and debut tools.
- Development tools
Similarities Unity and Ireal Engine
- Both tools are capable of producing AAA quality graphics and have a good interface between most industry standard software.
- Both offer an extensive toolbox, including a field editor, animation, physical simulation, VR support, and more.
The difference between Unity and Unreal Engine
- Definition: Unreal engine is a game engine available at source, Unity is a multiplatform game engine.
- Invention: The Unreal engine debuted in 1998, Unity was announced and launched in 2005.
- Languages: Unreal engine uses C ++ and Unity uses C #. C # is considered suitable for game development than C ++, so Unity is faster.
- Community: Both engines have large communities of active use. However, Unity 3D is already available in Unreal 4 and also has more customers and a user base.
- Documentation: Both provide good and detailed documentation that explains their tools and features.
- Asset Store: The asset store allows users to download changes such as textures and properties. Unity has a variety of modes compared to Unreal. Unreal has about 10,000 assets, while Unity has 31,000 assets.
- Graphics: Both tools have good graphics, but the Unreal engine is preferred over Unity because of the graphics quality.
- Source code: The code in the unreal engine is open source, which makes the development process easier. On the other hand, Unity does not offer open source code. However, it can be purchased.
- Playback: Unreal supports faster rendering, so post-processing is faster. On the other hand, playback in Unity seems a bit slow, so project processing is slow as well.
- Price: Unreal Engine is free, but you have copyright to them. Unity is available for free, but the full version can be upgraded for a one-time fee of $ 1500 or $ 75 / month.
Unity VS Unreal Engine comparison
|Definition||Game engine source available.||Multiplatform game engine.|
|Developed by||Epic games||Unity Technologies|
|Consumption||Used to develop games for computers, mobile phones, consoles and more.||Used to develop games for computers, mobile phones, consoles and more.|
|Characteristic||Powerful multiplayer frame, VFX and particle simulation.||2D enhancements, animation, instant snaps.|
|Source code||The source code is open source.||The source code is not open-source.|
|Award||“Beginner of the Year” Award in 2018.||Unity Award in 2018.|
|Prices||Free of charge||The basic version is free.|
|Learning curve||Hard to learn.||It’s easy and fun to learn because it has an intuitive interface.|
|Chart||Good AAA graphics quality.||The graphics are good, but Unreal is better here.|
So this is the Unity vs Unreal Engine comparison. Game development would be hard to imagine without these two game development tools. Both engines have their advantages and disadvantages, so it depends on the needs of the project to make the right choice. Unity is well known for its large user base and support for developing user performance as well as creating 2D and 3D simulations. On the other hand, the Unreal engine is preferred for making great games because it offers beautiful graphics. But in the end, what you choose for your project should be easy to use.
So many articles Unity VS Unreal Engine. Looking forward to more interesting articles and don’t forget to share this article with your friends. Thanks…
Hi, I am Azara! At Azara Tech we are passionate about tech and love sharing our knowledge and research with you.
At Azara Tech, we strive to be the ultimate resource for learning everything about technology!