There are times when we need to upgrade and downgrade our router version. The update is done when we need new features from Mikrotik and we downgrade when the latest version is not very compatible with our device. This time, your administrator will tell you how to upgrade or downgrade MikroTik.
Read also: 5 basic MikroTik configurations you need to know
Update MikroTik version
1. First, download the file from mikrotik.com then go to the menu Software> Archive Download
2. Then we look for the version that we want and that matches the architecture of our RouterBoard, then we download the file.
Notes: there are two types of files out there npk and zipper for npk it has a parent and we can arrange the one with a zipper according to our wishes. Select a package to install.
3. After downloading, we first extract the file we downloaded, then drag and drop the extracted file into Winbox.
5. After that, the router will upload the file.
6. Then restart the router.
7. If we can check the MikroTik Router version at the top of Winbox. If the MikroTik Router version has changed, it means that we have successfully updated the Router version.
MikroTik Downgrade version
For Downgrade the concept is the same, but there is only one added step.
1. First download the file as usual on mikrotik.com.
2. Here the administrator uses version 6.42.11 as an example.
3. Next, just drag and drop the zip files.
4. Make sure all the files have been uploaded to the router and do not restart first
5. Enter the menu System> Package then click the tab “degraded”.
6. When we click downgrade, a restart warning will appear, then select yes to restart the router.
7. Wait and then log in to Winbox again and see the version at the top of Winbox or in the menu Package. If the MikroTik version has changed, it means that we have successfully downgraded the MikroTik Router version.
Notes: If a feature is missing, the feature may have been left behind when it was installed. The solution is to repeat the file upload.
How to quickly update MikroTik
In fact, there is an easier way to upgrade your MikroTik Router.
1. First we need to connect the router to the internet and then go to the menu System> Package then click the tab “Check for updates”.
Read also: How to configure static and dynamic IP on MikroTik
2. Then click on the tab Check for updates.
3. Later there will be two variants, namely: Unload or Download & Install.
If we choose Unload then the router will only download the file, but if we click Download & Install then the router will download the file and then it will be installed automatically.
So many articles How to upgrade and downgrade MikroTik RouterOS. Looking forward to more interesting articles and don’t forget to share this article with your friends. Thanks…
Hi, I am Azara! At Azara Tech we are passionate about tech and love sharing our knowledge and research with you.
At Azara Tech, we strive to be the ultimate resource for learning everything about technology!